Border Issues Reporter
Border Issues Reporter
The USA TODAY NETWORK, seeks an experienced reporter to cover border issues in Arizona and the Southwest for The Arizona Republic and the USA Today Network.
The reporter will be based in Tucson and will cover the people, places and policies of the Arizona and Mexico borderlands. Coverage must be people-first but also include reporting on border policies, border security, immigration enforcement, wall construction, quality of life, U.S-Mexico trade and Mexican policies that impact the U.S. Topics to cover stretch from personal profiles of interesting people living in diverse communities along the border and borderland culture to influxes of unaccompanied minors and asylum seekers, migrant deaths, border commerce, unauthorized migration, drug trafficking, human smuggling, U.S. ports of entry and court battles over land acquisition.
The work demands a reporter who excels in source building, storytelling and digging into public records, with the ability to develop and execute story ideas independently. Fluency in Spanish is essential. You'll coordinate with other journalists on the top-flight team at The Arizona Republic, which won a Pulitzer Prize in 2018 for its reporting on President Donald Trump’s proposed border wall. You’ll also be part of the USA Today Network immigration reporting team, collaborating with journalists at sites across the country to provide top-tier coverage for the nation.
- Develops exclusive content that is complete, authoritative, interesting and shareable – and always people-focused.
- Uses source development, data and document reporting and strategic thinking to identify key issues.
- Offers independent, innovative thinking in shaping coverage of those issues.
- Follows disciplined approach to deliver high-impact work on multiple platforms, often juggling multiple assignments.
- Uses metrics to gauge audience interests and works to develop coverage plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Places a priority on data analysis to identify trends that would otherwise go unreported.
- Strategizes and executes distribution and optimization plans for all content.
- Demonstrates clear concise writing skills with strong nut graphs and “why this is important to me” content.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Develops trusted reputation in niche coverage area.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in journalism or data-related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of three years of reporting experience.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Willing to travel on short notice to cover breaking news events and to drive longer distances to remote areas of the border.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 5-10 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Columnist and Journalist
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Arizona, USA
- Phoenix, AZ, USA
- Tucson, AZ, USA