General Assignment Reporter
General Assignment Reporter
The Gadsden Times/gadsdentimes.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a general assignment reporter, with an emphasis on governmental agencies. You will focus on gathering, writing and presenting news and information to a variety of audiences, with a strong emphasis on digital.
You’ll be responsible for beat development, reporting, research and all aspects of writing stories with emphasis on digital, but with a print component too.
Given the networking capabilities with other Gannett papers in Alabama this role has the potential to communicate to a statewide audience.
- Create content (articles, videos, photos and social media posts) about local news that accurately informs, entertains and engages key audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Work toward becoming the community’s leading voice for news and issues in Gadsden.
- Plan and execute engagement opportunities to reach audiences through content, community events and social media.
- Work with content coach to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborate with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics).
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 years’ reporting experience, which could include freelancing, internships and college publication work.
- Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and publication ready.
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsroom.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- News often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
How to Apply:
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Columnist and Journalist
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Alabama, USA
- Gadsden, AL, USA