Communities and Real-time Editor
Communities and Real-time Editor
The Arizona Republic/azcentral.com & La Voz/lavozarizona.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, are seeking an innovative, engaged bilingual editor to work with us on engagement and digital innovation efforts on La Voz and the Arizona Republic.
This is an incredibly unique role that seeks to move our robust and energetic newsroom toward a laudable goal: Represent and tell the stories of All Arizonans, in their language, in their community.
What the job is:
The Republic wants to understand what is interesting to our audiences and how we can form better connections with them. We are the largest newspaper in the state of Arizona, and also, we have the largest digital news presences in Arizona.
We want someone who can write and edit with a strong voice, and is particularly interested in working with immigrant, inclusive and Spanish-speaking communities. We want to try new things and are continually looking for new ways to reach current and underheard audiences. The position demands initiative, accuracy, urgency and insight.
Your team of reporters cover crime, trending, conversational and important real-time stories rising on social and within our communities as well as “stories of the day.” The La Voz team is the heart of our Spanish-speaking initiatives - producing, reporting and telling the stories of Arizona’s Spanish-speaking communities.
This job would take a central role in putting a digital-first and bilingual strategy into play for not only La Voz, but the Republic. You’d provide daily direction and leadership during breaking news events, often editing live and working with multiple reporters across the newsroom.
This job also makes numerous news judgement calls in a day - from identifying stories and trends that are immediate, important and influential to our audiences, but also seeing the larger picture trends and the story beneath the story or the story that is *not* getting told. The editor would initiate and direct multimedia, multi-platform coverage of those stories, using all necessary resources.
Who we are hoping you are:
This editor should have interest and ability in developing strategic approaches for breaking news, social media reporting and visualization, using analytics and innovation. They will interact with reporters, producers and editors to engage with audiences and tell the story of Arizona’s rich communities. They are also an audience champion, distilling analytics and lessons from various platforms like newsletters and other emerging platforms.
Some traits we are looking for:
- Comfort with flexing different skillsets (and learning new ones)
- A bit of a generalist with an interest in learning new storytelling formats
- An insatiable curiosity about the community around us
- A love of serving information needs with stories but also solutions and conversation
- A love of, and experience with, collaboration within a newsroom and with outside partners
- A mindset of growth and change, and a willingness to try, be wrong, and learn from failure
- An eye for honing in on the important conversations and stories of the day across any subject genre and found on any platform, whether social media, e-mail tips or our own sourcing
- A passion for empathetic, compassionate storytelling
We have made a commitment to representing our community with our staff by 2025. We care about diversity and inclusion. We hope you consider applying even if you do not fit every hope what we’ve listed above.
Our 130-person newsroom is mission-driven and passionate about storytelling. This unique position means working with breaking news reporters and producers, coaching and mentoring interns and fellows, and working with other editors, reporters and producers to ensure that we have news available to our audiences as soon as they are looking for it.
Our Daily Focus desk covers breaking news and the stories Arizonans are interested each day with three editors (including this position) and three full-time reporters. We also have interns year-round.
The La Voz staff works with freelancers and internal staff (whether sister Gannett papers or within the Republic) to translate and produce Spanish-first content.
- Work with the teams across the newsroom to serve content using the best storytelling techniques and capitalize on a typical news consumer’s usage and news habits.
- Create unique content that our audience can’t get anywhere else.
- Pitch and run creative relevant engagement projects.
- Manage a team of staff and intern reporters to cover breaking news.
- Provide direction and leadership during breaking news events.
- Strategize and launch coverage of news and trends, using news judgment, analytics and innovation.
- Assist in the selection and evaluation of breaking-news interns. Direct their work and provide feedback both on the individuals and the program.
- Experiment with new ways of informing and engaging audiences on social platforms and alternate story forms.
- Lead and organize real-time coverage in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- Monitor real-time news and sniff out the most important and fascinating stories important to our audiences
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five years of media management experience.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer training, as a both a teacher and student.
- Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Experience editing and shaping watchdog and investigative journalism.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Understanding use of metrics, social-media and SEO knowledge.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Strong grasp of journalism skills (reporting and editing) and advanced knowledge of writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- News often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
- Job Family Content Strategy & Coaching
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Phoenix, AZ, USA