Managing Editor/Politics & Washington
USA TODAY, one of the nation's premier news organizations, is seeking a dynamic and transformational leader to serve as its Managing Editor/Politics & Washington. The successful candidate will be a seasoned journalist who can articulate a strategic vision for political and issue-based coverage in USA TODAY’s Washington bureau while setting and executing coverage and audience priorities.
We’re looking for strong leadership in news judgment, impactful storytelling, collaboration, innovation and audience growth. We want someone with bold ideas and the organizational and people skills to make them happen.
The right candidate keeps close to the political scene but also knows how to set priorities for distinctive coverage that makes the most impact and resonates beyond the political hive of Washington. This candidate will need to work well across our 260-newsroom network, building relationships at both the local and national levels to make the most of this powerful, unique resource.
At USA TODAY, we are experts, not elitists. Our readers span the USA and expect coverage that reflects their concerns and communities.
- Uphold the highest journalism standards across digital and print platforms, strongly support the First Amendment and conceive, pursue and execute watchdog and deep enterprise reporting.
- Provide exemplary leadership and execute the strategic vision.
- Develop and implement a multi-platform digital vision for video, mobile and social platforms, focused on achieving target audience specific goals and objectives.
- Increase journalistic quality and storytelling across all areas of coverage.
- Lead the planning and oversee execution of content strategies with a keen eye focused on growth audiences. Creativity and an ability to develop and execute innovative approaches are essential.
- Provide excellent personal leadership, change management skills and ability to collaborate and influence cross-functionally—can conduct a dialogue that is intellectually honest, brings out diversity of ideas and creates the appropriate integration/connectivity.
Act as a strong communicator of the company’s strategic initiatives, purpose, vision, culture and plan.
- Minimum 10-15 years of experience as a respected journalism leader, with emphasis on digital content and storytelling platforms.
- Experience in high-level decision-making with complex, impactful or sensitive news content.
- A history of successful leadership, innovation and goal achievement.
- History as a change leader who collaborates and communicates effectively.
- Demonstrated experience and success with digital audience growth.
- Comfort with public speaking, media appearances and a commitment o staff interaction.
- Understanding of the changing media landscape and ability to adapt strategies that address continually changing market and consumer needs and desires.
- Demonstrated strong competitive instincts and intellectual curiosity.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and coordinate in an environment of accountability.
- Demonstrated track record in recruiting a highly successful leadership team.
- Experience driving a successful transformation.
- Job Family News
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- Washington, DC, USA