Season Intern, Football Information
Allen Park Training Facility, 222 REPUBLIC DR, Allen Park, Michigan, United States of America Req #149
Friday, April 9, 2021
The Detroit Lions are a professional American football team based in Detroit, Michigan. They are members of the North Division of the National Football Conference (NFC) in the National Football League (NFL), and play their home games at Ford Field in downtown Detroit. The team located to Detroit in 1934 and are the NFL's fifth oldest franchise.
The Detroit Lions currently need a Season Intern supporting the Football Information department. It will be based out of the Detroit Lions Training Facility in Allen Park, MI. This position may be temporarily remote based due to COVID-19. We will accept applications for this position until 11:59PM on April 16, 2021.
Assist the club’s Football Operations department in evaluating league-wide trends and player-specific metrics through data analysis, data visualization, statistical modeling, and other techniques.
This internship is temporary and would begin approximately June 7th, 2021 and end approximately May 15th, 2022. This is a paid position.
The Seasonal Intern position will have daily responsibilities including, without limitation, the following:
- Work with other members of the Football Information Department to create, deploy, and maintain tools and resources for coaches, scouts, and other staff members within the front office.
- Analyze large quantities of football data to develop actionable insights for decision-makers.
- Utilize statistical programming, machine learning, and data visualization skills to complete various projects to help club better understand trends in both professional and college football.
- Develop novel and improve existing statistical models pertaining to the club’s football operations.
- Assist in development and maintenance of systems for producing consistently accurate and informative player-specific metrics for both professional and college players.
- Leverage internal information and data from third party vendors to complete various ad-hoc requests from coaches, scouts, and other stakeholders within the organization.
- Utilize data visualization and communication skills to present insights in a clear and concise format to the target audience.
- Analyze and present insights generated from league-provided player tracking and performance data.
- Will accept other responsibilities and duties required by the supervisor consistent with the
- objectives and essential functions of this position. Such responsibilities shall be incorporated
- into the position description if they are ongoing.
- Must be motivated, reliable, and able to work independently or as part of a team.
- Maintain professionalism when communicating with internal and external contacts.
- Must be accurate and efficient with ability to meet deadlines.
- Must be detail oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Must have the ability to gather and analyze information skillfully and develop solutions quickly and effectively.
- Will adjust work schedule to meet departmental demands.
- Will keep appropriate information confidential.
- Strong passion for football.
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, statistics, mathematics, or relevant field required
- Coursework in statistics, mathematics, and machine learning.
- Experience with statistical programming languages (e.g., Python, R).
- Experience in designing and implementing both classical statistical and machine learning models.
- Strong understanding of effective data visualization.
- Ability to write clean, efficient, and well-documented code.
- Working knowledge of data transformation, database models, and SQL.
- Some experience with front-end web development preferred (e.g., HTML/CSS/JS, Flask, Node.js).
- Strong understanding of Bayesian statistics preferred.
- Experience working with AWS or similar cloud services preferred.
- Previous experience in professional or college football a plus.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to connect with, and relate to, all levels of staff, management, and outside vendors.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, home games and holidays.
COVID-19 & REMOTE WORKING:
The safety of our employees and our candidates is paramount as we manage through the COVID-19 pandemic. We continue to closely monitor the evolving situation and we appreciate your understanding and flexibility with any related changes to our work processes.
We have implemented the following to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our offices and facilities including:
- Temperature checks, COVID-19 questionnaire prior to building access, regular cleaning, masks and hand sanitizer.
- Temporary work from home options based on position.
- Suspension of non-essential travel.
- Virtual interviews via phone/video and remote onboarding/training, where feasible.
To apply, please submit a copy of your resume along with a cover letter detailing your interest and related experience to the position.
Due to the high volume or resumes received, we regret that we are unable to update candidates on the status of their application. Those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
NO CALLS or EMAILS PLEASE.
- Pay Type Hourly
This posting is inactive.
- Allen Park Training Facility, 222 REPUBLIC DR, Allen Park, Michigan, United States of America