Director of Continuous Improvement, Quality & Safety
The Continuous Improvement, Quality & Safety Director is a key Operations Leader within the Business responsible for all aspects of Lean, Quality, Continuous Improvement (CI) and Safety. As a member of the Management Team, the position will work closely with all Functional Leaders, the General Manager, VP of Operations, Sales, Sales Operations, Finance, Procurement, Manufacturing and Logistics throughout the business to develop a detailed Continuous Improvement Action Plan as a critical component of the Annual Operating Plan (AOP).
The Continuous Improvement, Quality & Safety Director, in conjunction with the senior management team and functional organizations, has responsibility for the continued development, promotion and strategically aligned implementation of a lean operating methodology designed to drive world-class results in customer satisfaction, quality, on-time delivery, customer-value, and ultimately operating financial performance. He/she will provide the thought leadership, strategic direction, and tactical implementation leadership and support for the development and advancement of a Lean Management System, Quality Management System and Safety Management System across the business.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Owns the strategic direction, development and management of the Lean Implementation Process, development of a Quality Management System and refinement of our Safety Management System
- Work with the functional and operations leaders to develop Bowlers (performance trackers) which monitor performance to key strategic metrics.
- Work with the functional and operations leaders to develop and execute Action Plans which align the teams around activities and initiatives that will ensure the AOP is achieved.
- Work with the VP of Operations to develop and execute a strong Operating Review Rhythm (robust monthly cadence of Action Plan and Bowler reviews that ensures the teams are on pace to achieve AOP).
- Helps drive all business functional processes to a consistent and exceptional operational standard by driving a cultural shift focused on accelerated continuous improvement and a safety-first mindset
- Promotes and governs continuous improvement and lean process compliance at all levels of the organization. Benchmarks, develops and drives scalable and sustainable lean processes and standards across the Company
- Develops capability across the organization from the tactical (deployment and application of principles, concepts and methods) to the strategic (a transformation that impacts a key value stream/business/organization)
- In partnership with the business leaders and key stakeholders, be accountable for developing the appropriate business measures, KPI’s, operating metrics, etc. to drive business performance resulting in improved financial results
- Systematically identifies and solves the biggest problems that face the business using lean principles
- Develops and deploys robust training programs to teach lean principles and the use of continuous improvement tools to drive productivity and improved performance
- Facilitate groups with diverse perspectives to develop team alignment
- Work closely with finance team to facilitate the tracking and dissemination of any new operating data required to drive CI
- Train, motivate and coach plant management supervisors and employees on the essential skills and tools to meet and exceed metrics and objectives
- Based on project need, directly and or indirectly supervise managers and supervisors who are responsible for overseeing manufacturing overhead and direct labor employees to achieve the targeted Quality and CI results
- Communicate frequently and openly to motivate team members to achieve CI goals, to maintain clear channel of communication across the organization
- Collaborate on Quality and CI projects with departments such as marketing and sales, engineering, finance, procurement, IT, human resources, scheduling, shipping, quality, customer service, to improve quality, production processes and business performance
- Ensure CI and Quality initiatives support a safety-first focused environment
Undergraduate degree in Engineering or Business with an advanced degree preferred. Experience in implementing Lean Management, Quality Management and Safety programs preferred.
Professional & Personal
- An expert in using Lean Manufacturing Tools in an operations leadership role
- Preferred certifications: 6S/5S, Safety, Lean Back Belt and Lean certification through an accredited organization or Six Sigma Management Method expertise or similar continuous improvement certification
- A broad breadth of business acumen and seasoning that enables good business judgment and risk assessment
- Strong computer skills, including Database Software, Inventory Software, Order Processing Systems; Project Management Software, and Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to communicate and lead at all levels of the organization from production level employees to Executive and Board leadership
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Outstanding teamwork and personnel interaction skills – lead by example and develop team-first culture where members win together
- Ability and desire to train, teach and lead personnel not formally trained in continuous improvement
- Excellent understanding and the ability to manage capital and expense budgets
- Proven ability to solve complex problems and lead teams to solve complex problems. Strong analytic skills
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment where high energy and resiliency are required
- Ability to travel to our manufacturing facilities in VT and AZ as well as customers and suppliers, both domestically and internationally
- Pay Type Salary
- 480 Hercules Dr, Colchester, VT 05446, USA