Director of Learning & Development
SightLife believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. Therefore, this position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but not limit the incumbent or the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each person will offer his/her services whenever and wherever necessary to ensure the success of the Mission, Vision, and Values of SightLife.
In this high visibility and impactful role, the Director of Learning and Development will design, build, and manage SightLife’s learning and development strategy, with the goal of creating an environment for our employees to grow and thrive in their efforts to ensure we accomplish our mission to eliminate corneal blindness by 2040.
Design, build, and manage SightLife’s learning and development strategy, with the goal of creating an environment for our employees to grow and thrive in their efforts to ensure we accomplish our mission to eliminate corneal blindness by 2040.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Develop and deliver the strategy for SightLife’s employee development worldwide. Including identification, development and management of core competencies (knowledge, abilities, skills and behaviors) for leaders, managers, and employees, aligned to help us accomplish our mission.
· Own the curriculum development for SightLife employees, specific to breadth knowledge and skills, management and leadership. Partner with technical curriculum development needs to share best practices in methodology or review.
· Design and deliver instructional design principles for how to most effectively deliver core curriculum and develop long term competencies.
· Develop and deliver our strategy for learning and development methodology, platforms, systems, and tools.
· Architect SightLife’s onboarding and immersion experience for new hires in partnership with Human Resources.
· Architect SightLife’s competency development model and cross company development strategy annually against the model. Creating a development plan for targeted macro organization competencies and equipping managers and employees with the tools and forums for individual competency development.
· Achitect SightLife’s management development strategy and drive effective delivery through implementation.
· Architect SightLife’s leadership development strategy and drive effective delivery through implementation.
· Lead partnerships with business units to create career paths for the organization promoting horizontal and vertical growth opportunities.
· Collaborate to evolve SightLife’s external training efforts to partners through best practice sharing around L&D methodologies, curriculum development and instructional design.
· Ensure the L&D efforts embrace and incorporate diversity, cultural sensitivity and needs, and are delivered to ensure access and equity to all our employees regardless of location or accessibility challenges.
· Partner with HR to design physical spaces conducive to learning and development.
· Integrate L&D into the business and performance management rhythms for the organization.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 15+ years experience in the learning and development
- 10+ years of people management experience
- 5+ years of experience running global learning and development strategy and forums
- Experience supporting communities in knowledge exchange.
- Experience in gathering needs/requirements and customer engagement processes.
- Experience in managing learning and development related technology
- Effective organizational navigation skills, to solicit support from Subject Matter Experts, whose time is needed for content creation, delivery and knowledge transfer.
- Experience managing customer expectations and delivery outstanding experiences.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to effectively communicate cross-culturally while delivering exceptional customer service, ability to uphold the highest level of professionalism, confidentiality and discretion, highly numerate and analytical.
- Ability to manage projects, organize a variety of tasks, manage multiple and occasionally conflicting priorities simultaneously, meet deadlines and accurately attend to details.
- Effective organizational skills with the ability to prioritize tasks independently, ability to effectively deliver assigned tasks in high pressure situations.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and can find creative solutions for unexpected challenges.
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
· Bachelor’s Degree in a related field preferred.
· More than 10 years’ experience in one of the following specialties: learning and development, training and certification, curriculum development, instructional design, people management
· Experience with utilizing and/or managing web-based portals designed for education and training.
Physical Requirements (for essential functions):
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often required to perform the following activities:
· Reaching. Extending hands and arms in any direction.
· Standing. Particularly for sustained periods of time.
· Feeling. Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips.
· Talking. Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
· Seeing. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Far Acuity: ability to see clearly at 20 feet or more. Near Acuity: ability to see clearly at 20 inches or less. Depth Perception: ability to judge distance and space relationships. Field of Vision: ability to see peripherally. Accommodation: ability to adjust vision to bring objects into focus.
· Hearing. Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discriminations in sound.
· Repetitive motion. Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is rarely required to perform the following activities:
· Stooping. Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist.
· Climbing. Ascending or descending stairs.
· Lifting. Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position. Occasionally the employee must lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
· Balancing. Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling.
· Kneeling. Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees.
· Crouching. Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine.
· Walking. Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
· Pushing. Using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward.
· Pulling. Using upper extremities to exert force in order to draw, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion.
· Crawling. Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or risk to the health and safety of themselves or others. The requirements in the document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.
- Pay Type Salary
- Seattle, WA, USA