Recertification Specialist (Certified Occupancy Specialist)
Overview: Beacon Residential Management (BRM) employs a Centralized Compliance department (CC) to work with Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) properties with 100 or less LIHTC apartments and/or properties that have part-time managers. CC will provide front-line services to the property to alleviate the burden of file processing, tracking of compliance controls, and reporting. “Front-line” work comprises processes that would normally be conducted by site staff, including but not limited to sending and receiving verification forms, computing income, completing certification paperwork, Yardi data-entry, report maintenance, and electronic file preservation. Additionally, the CC department conducts file approvals and ongoing compliance monitoring for BRM properties who do not meet the model for front-line processing.
Beacon’s CC department also offers front-line and monitoring services to external clients.
This is a remote position. Please note that eligible candidates must currently reside in a state that we do business in: NY, MA, PA, MD, DC, FL, CT, KY, WV, OH, VA and ME
General Statement of Duties: Processes certifications according to CC procedures and works as part of CC team to ensure compliance with property and program requirements. Interacts directly with property staff to achieve maximum compliance efficacy and occupancy at all assigned properties and promotes the highest level of customer service.
Supervision Received: Reports directly to Central Compliance Manager.
Supervision Exercised: No supervisory duties required.
Essential Functions of the Position: Note: responsibilities are relevant to CC and properties assigned to work with CC. (Any one position may not include all of the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all that may be found in positions of this class.)
Central Compliance business/oversight
- In accordance with department guidelines, responsible for income certifications/recertification’s for multiple affordable housing programs
- Works patiently, professionally and cooperatively with residents, site team members and CC staff to provide high quality customer service
- Processes applicant/resident paperwork by verifying income, assets, medical and other expenses as required and data entry into Yardi software program within a timely manner
- Provides instruction and guidance to property staff during certification/recertification process
- Employs/maintains diligent tracking system to receive, process and return completed certifications to various properties in keeping with time sensitive occupancy requirements
- Ensures accurate and timely completion of initial and annual recertifications, as required by company procedures, HUD, LIHTC, HOME, and other funding programs
- Maintains tenant files electronically in accordance to the departments policy and procedures
- Assists in the lease up activity to include training, interviews, third party processing and tracking of file process (see travel requirements)
- Using exceptional multitasking skills to streamline processes and effectively manage daily tasks
- Documenting all actions properly in files and on tracking logs, maintaining a high standard of file organization
- Understanding and applying programmatic regulations, guidelines, and instructions
- Comprehend written material, perform assigned tasks with minimal supervision and maximum accuracy
- Assist in the development, implementation and enforcement of Central Compliance processes, procedures and documentation
- Assists with training and mentoring property staff to ensure compliance procedures are maintained
- Effectively communicate with senior staff about property needs and concerns with program requirements to ensure ongoing compliance
- Fosters a positive, active and collaborative relationship with residents, communities and associated agencies
- Preserves and respects resident and applicant confidentiality
- Knowledge of HUD’s EIV system
- Accurately conveying information, both orally and in writing
- Implementing and following department procedures.
- Enforces and adheres to company policies, rules and regulations.
- Assists with communication of updates and program changes to site team personnel
- Participation in COS Committee and committee related projects Special projects as assigned by Supervisor(s)
Education and Experience: Associates degree or equivalent is preferred
Experience Two years related work experience. LIHTC Certification and Certified Occupancy Specialist Designation required or obtain within six months of hire.
Qualifications and Skills: Basic math proficiency required. Knowledge of subsidy and affordable program regulations. Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel; highly motivated and able to work independently; ability to handle emergency situations and pressure due to complexity and time-sensitivity; excellent organizational and proofreading skills; attention to detail; strong interpersonal skills; high energy; ability to be an active team member within the Company.
Beacon Core Competencies required for all positions:
Teamwork, Integrity/Ethics, Dependability, Customer Focus, Adaptability/Flexibility.
COS Functional Job Competencies required:
Job Knowledge, Quality, Self Development, Personal Organization, Productivity, Computer Skills.
Travel requirements: Occasional travel visiting properties primarily in Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York. Travel also required to attend meetings and training seminars.
- Job Family Compliance
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Associate Degree
- Boston, MA, USA