Director of Development
Albany, NY, USA ● Rochester, NY, USA Req #526
Thursday, April 1, 2021
At Beacon, we strive to make a difference in our residents’ lives. We build outstanding communities that make enduring contributions to the vitality of our cities and towns. We create communities that serve a diverse cross section of our society. Our communities are healthy and vibrant. Why? Because they are planned with care, consideration, and compassion.
General Statement of Duties: The Director of Development primarily: (1) secures new projects/develops new business for the development pipeline (2) manages projects in the pipeline as required, (3) works as the liaison between the owner and the contractors/consultants in the development of new projects, and (4) represents the company externally (especially at the local level) in support of the development projects.
Location: Albany or Rochester, NY (flexibility for candidate to live anywhere in NY)
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Identifying and pursuing new projects and business opportunities including working with brokers, towns/cities, and other relationships to source new acquisition or development opportunities for Beacon’s pipeline.
- Site research and feasibility analysis; reviews, analyzes and approves reports, studies and presentations; develops permitting strategies, secures all necessary permits and approvals for projects; coordinates with design/construction team for the timely development of construction documents.
- Prepares project budgets related to development expenses and coordinating with the Construction team for construction estimates; developing and monitoring timetables for the development process of all projects that ensures achievement of objectives; maintains budgets, processes payments and requisitions.
- Manages the transition of projects from permitting to construction.
- Maintains a complete and current knowledge of local, state and federal regulatory requirements with respect to site development issues.
- Provides development presentations for residents, neighborhood, Housing Authority, HUD, state/city agencies and public hearings.
- Reports all pertinent information to key team members
Education: BS degree in Planning, Engineering, Construction Management or Real Estate Development, or other related field.
Experience: Five (5) years of real estate development planning, engineering or construction management experience preferably in the affordable housing environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Highly motivated and capable of independent work. Demonstrated experience in team leadership with emphasis on collegial collaboration and partnering in the context of planning and construction activities. Knowledge of financing and property management concepts. Knowledge of all phases of construction. Competent computer skills. Ability to set up and spreadsheet programs for budget and pricing analysis. Knowledge of scheduling and project management software. Ability to use drawing and page layout programs for diagrams and illustrations. Experience in business, regulatory and legal negotiations is preferred. Additionally, candidates who have successfully participated in affordable housing financial closings are preferred.
Some travel will be required, as our portfolio consists of assets throughout New England and the Mid-Atlantic.
Beacon Core Competencies required for all positions:
Teamwork, Integrity/Ethics, Dependability, Customer Focus, Adaptability/Flexibility
Beacon Development Director Job Competencies:
Job Knowledge, Quality, Problem Solving/Analysis, Interpersonal Skills, Personal Organization, Productivity
Equal Opportunity Employer
Beacon Communities - 2018, 2019, 2020 Boston Globe's Top Places to Work!!
- Job Family Development
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Albany, NY, USA
- Rochester, NY, USA