Vice President, Development
Vice President Development
The Vice President of Development oversees a team of development staff to support and direct their work as necessary, manages projects in the pipeline as required, secures new projects/develops new business for the project pipeline and represents the company externally in support of the development work plan and goals.
Supervision Received: Reports to the Executive Vice President of Development
Supervision Exercised: Supervises a team of Project Directors, Senior Project Associates, and Project Associates
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Leading, directing, supporting, and managing a team of project staff overseeing all aspects of project development and acquisition.
- Managing projects with support of development staff including: site research and feasibility; selecting development team members; developing and maintaining budgets, processing payments and requisitions, and working with design team to develop appropriate scope of work; structuring, applying for, managing, and closing all public and private financing sources; obtaining necessary permits; ensuring the project is completed on schedule; and overall day-to-day project management for all aspects of the projects.
- Identifying and pursuing new projects and business opportunities including working with brokers, towns/cities, and other relationships to source new acquisition or development opportunities for Beacon’s pipeline.
- Representing the company at association events, in policy conversations and at various public forums in order to position the company’s portfolio and experience to support future project opportunities and influence decision-makers to support Beacon’s work.
Education: Undergraduate degree (BA or BS), preferably in Planning, Engineering, Construction Management, Real Estate Development, or other related field. Ideal candidates will have a masters’ degree (MS, MSRED, MBA, or other) in a field related to real estate development.
- Minimum 10 years of real estate development, planning, investment, engineering, or construction management experience.
- Minimum of 7 years specifically in the affordable housing environment.
- Project experience must include exposure to all major aspects of project development.
- Ability to work independently on all phases of project management.
- Oversight of multiple complex projects simultaneously, and contributions to company organizational growth through external company representation and business development and/or internal company infrastructure projects.
- Must also demonstrate capacity to mentor and manage staff.
- Candidates should have successfully participated in 7 or more complex affordable housing financial closings (or projects of comparable scale and complexity.
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience directing and managing development staff
- Ability to support, train, and mentor staff
- Extensive real estate development and project-management experience through all phases of development (acquisition, design, permitting, financing, construction, and lease-up)
- Extensive knowledge of affordable housing programs, public policy objectives, and public and quasi-public agencies
- Strong financial modeling skills and working experience with real estate finance
- Highly motivated and capable of independent work on multiple tasks and projects
- Demonstrated experience in team leadership with emphasis on collegial collaboration and partnering in the context of planning and construction activities
- Ability to effectively communicate (in writing and in conversation) to team members, senior management, and investors
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word
Some travel will be required, as our portfolio consists of assets throughout Pennsylvania and Eastern Ohio and other locations as we continue to grow
Beacon Core Competencies required for all positions:
Teamwork, Integrity/Ethics, Dependability, Customer Focus, Adaptability/Flexibility
Beacon Vice President Job Competencies:
Job Knowledge, Quality, Problem Solving/Analysis, Interpersonal Skills, Personal Organization, Productivity/Supervisory
- Job Family Development
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Master’s Degree
- Pittsburgh, PA, USA