Boston, MA, USA Req #433
Thursday, November 19, 2020
At Beacon, we strive to make a difference in our residents’ lives. We build outstanding communities that make enduring contributions to the vitality of our cities and towns. We create communities that serve a diverse cross section of our society. Our communities are healthy and vibrant. Why? Because they are planned with care, consideration, and compassion.
General Statement of Duties: Supervises the accurate completion of the day-to day functions of the accounting department. Ensures complete, accurate, timely and consistent financial reporting.
Supervision Received: Works under the general direction of the Controller.
Supervision Exercised: Accounting Staff
FLSA Status: Exempt
Essential Functions of the Position: (Any one position may not include all of the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all that may be found in positions of this class.)
- Responsible for the supervision of accounting professionals.
- Responsible for the monthly close as well as maintenance of all accounting ledgers including monthly review of all account reconciliations and journal entries. Identify variances and implement corrective actions.
- Recommend enhancements, processes and procedures to general accounting activities to ensure the most effective and efficient operations.
- Supports annual audit by providing information and answering audit questions.
- Coaching, development and training of new and existing accountants and site personnel.
- Complies with applicable government regulations. Complies with company policies, rules, and regulations.
- Maintains financial security by adhering to internal controls
- Maintains and respects confidentiality
- Reviews month end close.
- Reviews monthly reporting.
- Reviews on line audit packages and year end close out process.
- Maintains accounting function for complex properties or new acquisitions or developments.
- Monitors and assists site bookkeepers with their job performance responsibilities
- Prepares periodic reporting to government agencies, financial institutions and investors.
- Special projects as needed.
Education: Bachelors of Science in Accounting or equivalent from an accredited university.
Experience: Five plus years accounting experience required. Real Estate accounting experience and knowledge of affordable, multi-family housing or construction accounting experience preferred. Supervisory experience required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Intermediate to advanced knowledge of major accounting software packages, Yardi experience a plus. Intermediate to advanced experience with Excel and Word. Must be detail oriented with proven organizational skills. Strong analytical and accounting skills. Must be able to consistently and effectively handle multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline driven environment. Ability to work independently and as part of a team and take on new tasks with high level of difficulty. Expected to work with minimal up front guidance and take ownership of his/her work product. Will be required to work some nights, holidays, and/or weekends during peak periods of business. Travel may be required for company meetings, training, and site visits.
Beacon Core Competencies required for all positions:
Teamwork, Integrity/Ethics, Dependability, Customer Focus, Adaptability/Flexibility
Beacon Accountant Job Competencies:
Job Knowledge, Quality, Problem Solving/Analysis, Interpersonal Skills, Personal Organization, Productivity
Equal Opportunity Employer
Beacon Communities - 2018, 2019 Boston Globe's Top Places to Work!!
- Job Family Accounting
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Boston, MA, USA