Medical Assistant - Full Time
Borrego Health is now the second largest health center in the country and the largest health center in the State of California! Join our team and make a difference today!
Works under the direction and supervision of the Charge Nurse/Lead Nurse. Provides assistance to the physician, mid-level provider, head nurse and patient; provides basic nursing procedure to non-acutely ill patients; assists in maintaining supplies and a safe clean environment. Interprets and supports the mission of Borrego Health.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Medical Assistants are responsible for knowing their scope of practice.
2. Prepare Charts
3. Obtain consents
4. Receives patients, takes and records chief complaint and prepares patient for examination; records blood pressure, pulse, respirations, pulse oximetry, height and weight
5. Prepares patients for examinations or procedures including positioning, draping, shaving and disinfecting treatment sites
6. Explains to the patient the procedures followed in an examination, a diagnostic test or treatment at the request of clinic personnel
7. Collects specimens, takes EKGs, collects blood samples as requested by clinic personnel; assists the physician with examination, treatments, minor surgery, dressing changes and splinting
8. Assists the provider in the collection of specimens such as pap smears and throat cultures
9. Administers medications orally, topically, vaginally, rectally, subcutaneously, intramuscularly, intradermal
10. Prepares and replenishes supplies in the treatment room and exam rooms; maintain exam rooms in an orderly and constant state of readiness for incoming patients
11. Performs simple laboratory procedures such as blood sugars and urine dips
12. Sterilizes instruments and assumes maintenance of diagnostic and therapeutic equipment.
13. Disposes of contaminated, disposable and outdated items per protocol
14. Performs necessary vision screening and operates the oxymeter, audiometer, nebulizer and spirometer as directed
15. Demonstrates willingness to assist co-workers whenever needed. Maintains good working relationship with all clinic personnel
16. Reviews patients record forms for accuracy and completion.
17. Performs other duties as needed
18. Responsible for having current CPR card
19. Attends all staff meetings and health fairs
20. Observes Borrego Health policies and procedures
21. This does not limit clinical activities. MAs will work according to Job description and scope of practice. (See MA Scope of Practice).
22. Provides compassionate quality care to the patients of Borrego Health, within the scope of practice outlined by state or federal law
23. Delivers care in accordance with established standard of care and accepted community standards
24. Understands the organizations commitment to provide high quality patient care. Promotes a Patient centered environment
1. Graduate of approved high school or GED equivalent
2. Medical assistant certificate or signed training on venipuncture, infectious control, patient privacy, basic anatomy and physiology by Registered Nurse or Physician
3. One year work experience
4. All staff that is presently working within a clinic is required to have a Current and Valid CPR and First Aide certification on file with the Human Resources Department. This is for clinical and administrative staff. This new license requirement is mandatory for continued employment, CPR and First Aide certification must be obtained though the American Heart Association. Internet certificates do not comply and for this reason are not valid.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education High School
- Cathedral City, CA, USA