Research Scientist-Safety & Security
CNA fosters an inclusive culture that values diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Our flexible and engaging work environment encourages iterative and creative collaboration at every stage of the problem solving process. Our employees are committed to helping clients develop effective solutions to better manage their programs through scientific, data-driven approaches.
We are looking for creative and innovative individuals to help carry out our mission.
PRIMARY PURPOSE Represents level for those with some relevant experience and increasing ability to operate independently. Staff at this level will typically be leading projects of small and/or moderate size and/or complexity; and playing a critical role as a team member on projects with specific technical/scientific expertise and supporting client/sponsor relations. Consistently produces high quality analysis.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND/OR DUTIES
1. Routinely produces analysis on structured and unstructured problems that meets CNA’s quality standards* with limited direction and general supervision. Demonstrates ability to develop and apply creative and innovative analytic solutions to complex problems with assistance/support from more senior staff. Shows the ability to synthesize analytic results into a broader context. Can lead complex analytic projects with supervision. Begins to make connections and synthesize ideas across multiple, related studies.
2. Develops and maintains deep, specific institutional knowledge and expertise of primary clients/sponsors; their culture, organization, and issues. Uses that knowledge to support training & mentoring of new staff, to support on-going work, and to support development and shaping of new work for existing clients/ sponsors.
3. Balances responsiveness to guidance with independent action. Contributes productively and harmoniously to the work of others; treats everyone respectfully, professionally and fairly. Independently identifies opportunities for collaboration within tea [EV1]
Supports business development efforts and/or marketing activities by
interacting with CNA managers and current clients/sponsors on securing follow on work, expanding
or developing new ideas for future projects.
Interacts regularly and independently with clients/sponsors and related
parties. Typical interactions are at the peer equivalent level, but some level of interaction at senior level. Can effectively represent
CNA as an organization.
Influences decisions by sponsors/ clients; provide sponsors/clients with
implementable recommendations. Occasionally supports efforts to enhance CNA's
reputation via publishing and outreach activities.
Demonstrates strong and effective communications skills, to include ability to
summarize and synthesize larger pieces of work into effective executive
summaries/executive briefings. Can effectively present work to more senior and
Works under limited direction and general supervision from division and Center management.
Can lead multiple research and/or training and technical assistances projects
of low to medium size and/or complexity, as well as significant tasks on large
or more complex projects. Effectively manages all aspects of assigned projects.
Plays a supporting role in the mentoring and training of new staff individually
or as a member of a project team. Regularly demonstrates initiative in pursuing
improvements in the quality of our projects and analytic products. Participates
in corporate activities.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Education: Minimum Master’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience, PhD preferred.
2. Experience: Typical minimum requirements 5+ years of experience in research and analysis.
3. Skills: Ability to work on progressively more difficult projects/analyses, including directing portions of large research projects or small to medium projects under general supervision; Ability to operate independently and proactively in the execution of assignments; Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment; Strong critical thinking skills; Knowledge of research techniques; Strong planning and organizational skills; Excellent interpersonal skills; Strong and effective oral and written communication skills; Ability to interact directly and effectively with clients and influence their decisions.
4. Skills: Ability to work on progressively more difficult projects/analyses, including directing portions of large research projects or small to medium projects under general supervision; Ability to operate independently and proactively in the execution
5.Other: And ability to develop and manage justice-related technical assistance programs, products, and delivery mechanisms; ability to manage and analyze qualitative and quantitative data from justice-related and other information systems.
CNA is committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service and protected veterans, or other non-merit based factors. In addition to federal legal requirements, CNA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. These protections extend to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting and hiring practices, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training and career development programs. For more information about EEO protections, please view the EEO is the law posters below: "EEO is the Law" Poster; "EEO is the Law" Poster Supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here: Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Poster
To be considered for hire, all individuals applying for positions with CNA are subject to a background investigation. For positions requiring access to classified information, U.S. citizenship is required. Individuals will also be subject to an additional government background investigation, and continued employment eligibility is contingent upon the ability to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
- Job Family Research
- Job Function Career Path I - Research
- Pay Type Salary
- CNA, 3003 Washington Blvd, Arlington, Virginia, United States of America